Finding Joy in turmoil


There is a joy within us that is always present and not diminished by the trials and challenges of life.

We need to drink from this spring of joy often to keep at bay the jackals of despondency, despair, depression, anger, jealousy, fear that sneaks in and eats away at our happiness, at our sense of the sacred in life.  This can be so, so hard during times when life feels like it is crushing us with crisis, hardship, loss, chaos, threat, illness, uncertainty, lack of flow, etc.
 
Of course, these are the hardest times to turn within; either to find time, or motivation or concentration or a quite space. For some reason these are the times we need it most but feel the least like drinking from this well of inner joy.  Yet, oddly, very oddly, if we somehow manage it, even in the most tangential of ways, it seems that there are unseen hands just waiting to hold us and love on us. If they catch just a glimpse of us turning away from the turmoil and toward them, they grab us, and the light and power of upliftment is there more than normal.  You may have felt this, or not, it doesn't matter for it happens all the same.

Such a draught of joy can be had in many ways: working in a garden, going to church, reading an uplifting book, singing inspiring songs, meditating, praying, saying an invocation, being with children, going to an inspiring seminar, listening to inspiring music or lectures, serving others, walking in nature -- what these all have in common is a momentary respite, a turning away from the hypnosis of our individual perception and toward something greater than ourselves - nature, oneness, wholeness, light, spirit, compassion.

The key is we must make that small effort to tip the scale toward spirit and away from the present situation. To let go, momentarily, of the trouble, pain, grief, sadness, crises to allow spirit to arise.  It does not have to be a huge or prolonged effort; just a little bit of regular effort is enough, for that Joy is always there with us - it never leaves and it is not dependent on outer circumstances.

You may not feel the effects of such actions immediately, and to be honest, they probably will not remove the present crisis or challenge, for these still need to be handled outwardly, but they will bring a new perspective, they will break down barriers and blockages and dear beloved ones of God, this makes all the difference!

For me personally, the easiest, most effortless, powerful means to open and shift my vibration, emotions and perceptions toward spirit are:

   1. Saying an invocatory prayer (Saum for example) I feel attuned to (an invocation or affirmation will help too).

   2. Singing or saying the Dhikr: La Illaha Illa Lahu; I also especially like to say La Illaha, La Illaha, La Illaha - meaning I surrender all limitation, negativity and turmoil in light.

   3. Reciting a Mantra such as: Ya Fatah - Ya Azim; or reciting a chant to a great being of compassion such as Tara: OM TARE TUTTARE TURE SVAHA.

   4. I always offer petitionary prayers from my heart to God for help.

   5. And I find doing the elemental breaths particularly powerful.

In each of these practices I don't let the state I'm in stop me, I don't worry if I'm worthy, a total mess or doing the practice right - I just do it, that's all. When I do it, I don't think about the meaning, I often do it out loud because I need the audible sound to help me focus. So the great thing is that none of these practices truly depend on me or the state of my mind, emotions or body - they work beyond the mind-mesh, beyond the walls of my limitation! 


It is like a baby crying for their mother and the mother comes to help!

 



 

Popular posts from this blog

Enlightenment